Monday, August 13, 2007

Poet, Fool or Bum: Lee Hazlewood & the Ladies

Lee Hazlewood passed away earlier this month. One of my all time favourite dudes for a variety of reasons, Hazlewood's biggest contribution was to the pop idiom of boy-girl duets. His work with Nancy Sinatra and Ann-Margret was fun and subversive. It set a standard for roguish bad boys singing with pretty (or at least pretty-sounding) girls that remains effective. In tribute to this giant, over the next indeterminate period of time I'll be posting songs that somehow relate to Mr. Hazlewood, whether merely in spirit, or through more concrete ties.
Today's Lee-inspired tune is, in fact, a cover of a tune the Hazlehoff did with Ann-Margret way back when, done by Dean & Britta, group who inevitably invite comparisons to Lee anyway. I've talked about them before, so I got not much else to say.


EDIT: I can't figure out what I did wrong on the Lee & Nancy track, so howzabout something else completely? Here's Lee solo track from the album he did with Ann-Margret that exemplifies the way he managed to somehow come across as having something to do with Nashville, something to do with San Francisco and something to do with Paris all the same time.

EDIT #2: Okay, that didn't work either. I don't know what the problem is.

EDIT #3: All right, I've figured it out. So here's all three songs.

MP3: No Regrets - Lee Hazlewood
MP3: I've Been Down So Long - Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra
MP3: You Turned My Head Around - Dean & Britta

No comments: