Wednesday, December 18, 2019

the darkness of your song

This is a 2018 album.
This is a 2019 blog post.
I don't know why I listen to music anymore. Sometimes, I think, to shut out the world. Sometimes, I think, to shut out the silence.
Often, I know, to dance, if only on the inside.

This one, Natural Weather, I listen to when I'm into feeling something real, something elusive, something only music does.  "Where are you now?" Michael Feuerstack is a horse, eating apples from the hand. At first, you think it's a metaphor, but no, it's a horse. Feuerstack becomes the horse, and the horse longs for you. Sweep the stable, bring an apple.
Could you write a song from the POV of a horse, could you write an unbelievably tender & intimate song from the POV of a horse?

INTIMACY. Jonathan Richman used to sing about Affection. But Feuerstack is singing here, about Intimacy, and not in the way you think. Or not ONLY in the way you think. Real intimacy. Intimacy with your self. Yourself. Your self.

The instrumentation is so lush but so simple, mostly just Feuerstack. Intimate with himself. One of the Arcade Fire does some percussion. You don't have to be alone.


All I want to do is good
All I want to do is good

No comments: