Friday, July 07, 2006

Any Way the Spo-Dee O'Dee Blows #1

The News Is Out: For the duration of the summer (July & August), I'm the new Dave. While Monsieur Kuzenko enjoys his new BBQ, I'll be sweating it out to the oldies and newies in his Anyway the Wind Blows timeslot, 8 to 10 p.m., Thursday on 91.3 FM CJTR.
What I played on July 6, 2006:

Hour One
Citizens of Tomorrow - Tokyo Police Club - Kick ass Toronto band, with kick-ass handclaps on this track!
Summer Song Summer - Radiogram - One of those songs you've just gotta play once a summer from Ken Beattie & co. New Radiogram alb coming this year! I've already heard two songs and I really, really like "Arrival" and will probably play it soon.
That Summer Feeling - Jonathan Richman - Another SUMMER SONG that you can't not play
Everyday I Have to Cry - Arthur Alexander - killer country soul from Alexander's last album, produced by Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham
It Tears Me Up - Hacienda Brothers - more country soul, also guided into existence by Penn & Oldham
Dead Dogs Still Love Us - Carbon Dating Service - would you believe that I first heard of this Saskatoon band from Matthew Perpetua's Hit Refresh blog/column originating in NYC? go figure
Crash Hard - Dustin Bentall - Features a reference to my favourite book ever.
Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me - the Pipettes - sweet girl group pop, with plenty o' handclaps
La Poinçonneur Des Lilas - Serge Gainsbourg - I'm 98% sure this song is lewd
La Maison Ou J'ai Grandi - Françoise Hardy - heartbreaking yeh-yeh
7 heures du matin - Jacqueline Taieb - Stone cold classic for the Who shout out, and the brosse-a-dents mystery
Girls Fight! - Vailhalen - This band kicks ass, and they've got a really, really terrif new song post on their website
New York - JF Robitaille - sorta Donavon-y indie folk from Mtl
All I Want - Kenny Brown - though it's probably supposed to evoke Bonnie & Clyde, this song reminds more of the Al Pacino/Gene Hackman buddy-tragedy Scarecrow
Lumpy, Beanpole & Dirt - Bad Livers - What can I say about the Bad Livers that I haven't said a million times before? I love 'em.

Hour Two
Fruit Pickers (in Dubious Battle) - Ridley Bent - Based exactingly on Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. I haven't really come to terms with Ridley Bent--sometimes I think he's great, sometimes I think he's grating. Regardless, Chin Injeti's production is flawless
Cosmetics - Fight the Monster - You can't not admire these dudes
As A Ghost - The Cape May - brilliant
Helpless - Buffy Sainte-Marie - It really doesn't get more Canadian than this
Solid Gold - Chuck Prophet
Panic Open String - Calexico
Warning Against Judging a Christian Brother - Hylozoists
Energy - King Kong
Work on You - MSTRKRFT
Transformer - Gnarls Barkley
(Far from) Home The Speed Of Sexor Reprise - Tiga
Tighten Rap - Zoobombs

No comments: