Friday, February 22, 2008

this is friday: do you know where your mother is?

Here's a bunch of random stuff to tie up all the loose ends from the week:

In their coverage of last week's New York Toy Fair, comic publicity machine Newsarama posted picture of Deathstroke the Terminator among action figures being released as tie-ins to the upcoming Dark Knight flick. OH REALLY?
For the uninitiated, Deathstroke the Terminator is super-powered mercenary introduced very early in the 1980 New Teen Titans series. Sort of a Captain America super-soldier gone bad, Deathstroke originally claimed that he never left a contract unfulfilled. After nearly 30 years of getting his clock cleaned by the Boy Wonder & co., however, I thinking his asking price has gone down a little. Toward the end of the 80s, maybe even 1990, Deathstroke got his own mag, where he became a brooding anti-hero, like in, oh, every other comic during the post-Frank Miller era. There are two things I like about Deathstroke the Terminator.
1) His disco boots, sadly absent from the Dark Knight version of his costume.
2) When he was introduced, the Terminator part of his name got the emphasis. Then some movie came out. So he started going by Deathstroke. Then he started appearing in the kid-friendly Teen Titans cartoon, and you can't talk about Death or Strokes with the kids, so he became the actually-quite-sinister-sounding Slade.

Stephen Harper's war on science has been recognized by science.

Holy Fuck is going to be here in Vancouver (at Richard's) on Monday night. I wonder if I'll be able to convince my mom (who'll be visiting) that going to see them would be an excellent way to spend time together?

In the meantime, we are going to see Kiran Ahluwalia tomorrow night.

I found my White Hassle Lazy Susan 7" b/w "Good Feelings" (Violent Femmes cover).

mp3: "Good Feelings" by White Hassle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After having redone my site roughly, I realized that I'm not using all that much of my alloted space so if you need a little to add music to your site, just let me know. I can give you a folder that you can FTP to for your downloads. We should be able to swing something provided your traffic isn't totally crazy.