Wednesday, June 18, 2008

He-ey, Hermano!



Hey Duder,

Sorry I haven't called you back. It's not so much that I've been busy, but I've been not busy at all the wrong times. Time zones, that crazy Sandford Fleming.

I've been thinking about what you said, about the Cold War Kids sounding like the Black Keys. I don't know if I hear it. The only song on the new BK album that sounds anything like CWK to me is "Psychotic Girl", and that might even be due more to Danger Mouse, and doesn't prove anything, since Attack & Release came out after the CWK album. I haven't checked out Bon Iver yet, but I probably will, now that I've said I would.

Jesse and I saw Iron Man together, just after it came out. Rad. The other day I was in the comic shop, and the dudes there were talking about it. They were going on about the dude from S.H.I.E.L.D., and I was like, "Oh yeah, the guy from Old Christine. He's great. I love his flat delivery."

And everybody just looked at me.

"Um, The New Adventures of Old Christine? With, um, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Wanda Sykes? It's a TV show?"

Blank stares. Okay. Sometimes I feel like a giant comic nerd who has a tenuous relationship with the world beyond Batman. This was not one of those times. I had merely been trying to join in on the camaraderie of my supposed fellow geeks and instead was exposed as someone with something resembling outside interests. I paid for my mags and slunk out, humbled.

New Adv. of Old Christine is actually a pretty decent TV show. First of all, WANDA SYKES (did I tell you we saw her this spring? AWESOME.). Second of all, Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Third...what's his face, the guy with the great delivery who's also in Iron Man. Fourth, when it's on, it's on Monday nights. So that's four reasons to watch a show. None of which involve unhealthy power fantasies, surrealist anatomy, or Harvey Pekar.

Context is everything, I guess.

I still haven't seen the new Hulk flick. Not feeling any huge desire to. I'll probably see Get Smart first. The Dark Knight's almost here, though. YES. I read some interview somewhere where they asked Gary (Jim Gordon) Oldman if it was true that Heath Ledger's Joker was inspired by Johnny Rotten. I rolled my eyes and blamed Johnny Depp. Then I remembered that Oldman was also Sid Vicious. Oldman. Old man. Old man Gordon.

Remember Dover? That weird-o female-fronted metal-pop band from Spain? I got some tracks in the email from a band that reminds me of them. Lemuria. They're from Buffalo. The one in New York.

Yeah. So that's what's happening. I can't believe it's almost 18 months since I last saw you. Probably won't even see you again until Christmas, and that's gonna be a gong show, believe you me. Be well, say hey to B. and I'll talk to you soon.

mp3: "Pants" by Lemuria

mp3: "Dog - Dogs" by Lemuria

mp3: "Four Graves" by Dover

1 comment:

Jon Wolf said...

I used to love Dover but could never find any info on them, being from Spain could be a reason for that, thanks for the post!