Monday, July 14, 2008

Who doesn't like covers?

This past weekend, my friendly neighbourhood comic shop, RX Comics (they of the sadly underused and underupdated website), was having a TITANO sale on back issues, and now that I'm a collector of fine comics with gaps in my fine collection to fill, I had to check it out.
I'm currently building a store of early-80s Legion of Super-Heroes issues, with a focus on those with art by Keith Giffen. I snagged a few primo pre-300 issues, including Legion of Super-Heroes #290, which is the first episode in "The Great Darkness Saga", which is probably the finest LoSH story ever. If you are interested in reading, it's totally worth it to AVOID the collected edition at all costs. I mean, don't even look at it. Or, get someone else to buy it for you and have them rip the front cover off.
So, all I'm missing now, from the "Great Darkness Saga", is the CATACLYSMIC CLIMAX in #294 (don't look at that one either).
In addition to my neat little bundle of 30th Century teenaged melodrama, I picked up a few more sweet early 80s comics just because of the awesomeness of the covers (before you freak your freak, Nicole, I paid ONE DOLLAR for the whole lot). I got Blackhawk #269, with a brilliant cover by the awfully underrated Dan Spiegle. Spiegle's got a great style that resembles Alex Toth's on the surface, but seems to come from a wholly different tack. Spiegle also drew the excellent espionage adventure strip Nemesis, which ran as a back-up in the Batman team-up book The Brave & The Bold of the same era. The other non-Legion issue I got was the Flash #329, with a classic-ish Carmine Infantino gorilla on the cover.

Speaking of covers, in the last week or so, I've received a couple of the musical variety. I don't mind covers, especially in a live setting, or if there's something new or interesting about them. Reinventions or deconstructions, or even just a fun way to close the show, what the heck, go for it! But I think it's a little dodgy to put a cover song out there as your calling card (unless, of course, covers is what you do). It's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick that works. It worked for Pat Boone, it worked for Limp Bizkit. Maybe it'll work for Bikini and/or Shock of Pleasure (which is one of the worst names I've seen in my inbox in a while).

mp3: "Superstar" by Shock of Pleasure
mp3: "1234" by Bikini

No comments: